Nutritional Support and Cancer Care
The intention of this information sheet is to help people to make informed choices. We believe that everyone deserves to be empowered by the knowledge available of how they can increase their own health and well-being.
Nutritional support may:
• Maintain anti-oxidant status (shown to decrease cancer risk).
• Prevent treatment resistance and improve treatment efficacy.
Research has shown that dietary and lifestyle choices help to reduce the risk of getting cancer. For someone that is already going through treatment or coming out of the other side then there is a lot that you can do that may reduce the side effects of treatment and/or your risk of getting another tumour growth.
"You can cut your risk by 40% just by changing your diet" says World Cancer Research Fund.
With the right supplements, including vitamin C, D, B vitamins and antioxidants, and lifestyle changes as well you can reduce your risk even more.
• 85 to 90% of cancers are caused by environmental factors.
• Meal replacement drinks can sometimes be helpful ie. Nuzest GGS mixed with Nuzest Protein.
• Studies have shown that a healthy diet and exercise improves long term health of cancer survivors.
Nutritional Supplements that may support your health during Cancer Treatment:• Modified Ginseng & Ophiopogon during treatment has been shown to prevent WBC and Platelet reduction.
• Polyphenols from Green Tea has been shown to improve drug resistance during chemotherapy.
• Higher anti-oxidant status has been shown to be associated with better clinical outcomes for patients.
• Resveratrol and Curcumin has been shown to sensitise tumours to chemotherapy.
• Curcumin has also shown to offer some protection to normal organs.
• Vitamin E and Beta Carotene ARE NOT recommended for smokers during radiotherapy.
• Phospholipids (i.e. fish oils) and CoQ10 may offset chemotherapy side effects.
• Cancer Patients often have low EPA/DHA levels.
• Lipid’s (Fish Oils) appear to be beneficial for fatigue.
• Omega 3 EPA has been shown to protect muscle breakdown from inflammation in animal models.
N.B. Always remember to maintain your water intake at 6-8 glasses per day.
Recommended Books covering safe anti-oxidant support therapy guidelines:• Cancer by Gilbert Mertens
• The Definitive Guide to Cancer, 3rd Edition
• Herb, Nutrient, and Drug Interactions Mitchell Bebel Stargrove, Jonathan Treasure, Dwight L. McKee
Useful Website:• http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/supportivecare/nutrition/Patient/page4
Holistic Support for Pain Management:• High dose EPA/DHA, found in Fish Oils such as Nordic Naturals excellent range.
• Diet high in alkalizing vegetables and fruit and low in acid forming sugar, starch and grains.
• Massage, acupuncture, meditation, gigong, tai chi, relaxing walking.
• Regular Sleep cycles – Tru2u Cherry Concentrate has high levels of natural melatonin along with anti-oxidants to support healthy sleep patterns.
Please note – This information is not designed to prescribe or treat in any way. Your medical practitioner should authorize any supplements you are considering.